This is a great salad of roasted cauliflower (which happens to be our favourite way to cook the mighty cauliflower) with an almond and yogurt dressing. Serve it up warm or at room temperature – its all good.
What you will need
- 80 gm flaked almonds
- 1 (1.3kg) cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 90 gm puffed quinoa (you can get this at most health food stores)
- 1 big bunch of coriander
- 1 loose packed cup of mint
- 1 loose packed cup of Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup dill
- 1 tsp toasted nigella seeds (cumin seeds are a great substitute here)
- Lime halves, to serve
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 180 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated rind of ½ lime
- Juice of 1 lime (or to your taste)
How to do it
- Preheat oven to 150C. Spread almonds on an oven tray and roast until golden (5-6 minutes). Set almonds aside and increase oven to 250C.
- Dry-roast whole spices for the spice mixture in a small frying pan over high heat until fragrant (30-40 seconds). Cool, then grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Add turmeric and pulse in grinder or stir to combine.
For spice mixture,
Place cauliflower in a bowl. Add oil and spice mixture, season to taste and toss to combine (turmeric stains so wear gloves if using your hands). Scatter in an oven dish and roast until cauliflower is golden and tender, and starting to char at the edges (15-20 minutes). Cool.
Meanwhile, dry-roast puffed quinoa in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp (3-5 minutes).
For yoghurt dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
Spoon yoghurt dressing onto plates, top with cauliflower, scatter with almonds, puffed quinoa, herbs and nigella seeds, season with lime to taste and serve.
- 12 small carrots peeled and quartered
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped into eighths
- 1/2 unwaxed lemon quartered
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs macadamia oil
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- salt to taste
- 1 400 g tin of organic chickpeas drained
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup rocket
- 1/3 cup dates halved and finely diced
- 1 tbs slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup yoghurt pomegranate molasses
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Pop your carrots, red onion and lemon in a bowl along with the spices, olive oil, salt and garlic. Toss well to coat evenly. Spread out evenly on the deep baking tray and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelised.
- Set aside to cool and then toss in the chickpeas ensure to coat them in that great spiced oil.
- Place the spinach and rocket in your favourite salad plate and pop the carrots and chickpeas on top. Sprinkle with dates and almonds then serve with a side dish of swirled with yummy pomegranate molasses.